Microsoft just Announced that new Authenticator app will be available on all mobile app stores by Aug 15th.
Coolest part seems to be the support of wearable like Apple watch. Users would be able to approve multi factor authentication challenges right from their watch.
Here are some of the new benefits you will see in the app updates:
- User experience refresh. We’ve made the app experience incredibly simple while maintaining the highest level of security.
- Best in breed MFA experience through one-click push notifications. You only need to click the “approve” button in the notification to complete your login. (And in most cases, you won’t even need to open the app to complete the approval.)
- Support for wearables. You can use an Apple Watch or Samsung Gear device to approve MFA challenges.
- Finger prints instead of passcodes. We’ve added support finger print based approvals on both iPhone and Android.
- Certificate based authentication. Support for enterprise customers to sign in through certificates instead of passwords.